Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Leaving Home

For about a week I have been living the college life, and it is really awesome! Most of senior year I absolutely could not wait to leave home; to get out on my own, meet new people, and have new experiences, I just could not wait. Saying goodbye to my friends was really hard, because they are like family, but I was so excited to come to Winthrop. My family knew how excited and how ready I am to be in college so there were not any tears or long, drawn out goodbyes, just see you later! I have been too excited, for too long to let anything get in the way of having the best college experience I could have. I fell head over heels in love with Winthrop and its going to be a degree from Winthrop or bust. I will admit cleaning and laundry are not always exactly how I want to spend my time, but it has to get done. I am really impressed, as are others, with how Winthrop does not just throw you head first into the college life and say "deal", time is allowed to adjust, somewhat, and figure out the lay of the land. One adjustment for me is having to walk all over a big campus is a huge difference, coming from a small private school. Also, it is not only the amount of people who go here, compared to my high school, but the amount of different people who go here is fascinating. I love all the different backgrounds and cultures and just the plain differences people have is really interesting. Leaving home is not a big deal to me personally because I feel like this is a home, the people are so friendly, and the whole Winthrop community is so warm and welcoming. Come on, we as the class of 2012 were welcomed at least six times! Who would not take comfort in that.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

Wow, Kristen, you've got to be one the most enthusiastic freshmen I've heard yet! Stay positive, and pace yourself. I'm glad you like Winthrop; I like it too.

On a personal sidenote, when you guys talk about being the class of 2012, you make me feel really old.