Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ON LEAVING HOME

First of all, if you're reading this, you have some extra time on your hands, so good for you. This first week for me has been a little overwhelming, particularly in the amount of information being thrown at me. Fortunately, I have not had to deal with any sort of homesickness the way some of you have experienced; it isn't my first time. Leaving home for the third time now since high school, going off to college has not really affected me much in the way of tears and farewells. Sure, I am eventually going to start missing my family and want to see them, but hey, they live only twenty minutes away! So you see, unlike many of my classmates, my old home and my new are only a short car-ride apart. It will be interesting to see how long I can go without hopping a ride to Chester with a friend. With so many extra-curricular activities and interest groups here on campus, I don't think that will be much of an issue. I think there are plenty of distractions that will serve well to keep my mind away from a trip down I-77 to mom and dad.
If you are a student and are still reading this, I thank you for your interest and I look forward to seeing you all on Thursday. If my professor is reading this, I would like to know if I placed that semicolon correctly this time. Ha ha. See you tomorrow!

William Norton

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

I am reading this, not because I have "extra time on my hands," but because it's my job! Also, you placed that semicolon perfectly, and with style! Seriously though, I'm really enjoying reading each of your posts and see how your handling this transition. Plus, you're all being so deep, and honest, and great with your posts.

Lastly, to all of you, extracurricular activities are a great idea. They can really help ground you, and give you a positive way to meet friends and stay out of trouble.