Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On Leaving Home

I'm not going to lie, I cried when my parents left. Well really it was because of my mom. My mom and I have always been close. It has been her and me since I was born, just like most people. But our situation is a little different than most. My parents divorced when I was 5. Before that my "father" was never home. He was always out. See he didn't want kids, but he had my sister, Morgan, and me. (I am also close to my sister, although she could not make it to move in day because high school had already started back.) Anyways, so when my parents went their seperate ways, it was the 3 girls for awhile. There wasn't much difference except the place we lived and my mom was working. Before, my mama didn't have to work so she was home with us all day long. It was pretty special.
So getting closer to the day I was to depart for school, I got obviously stressed and nervous. My mama also was. We are just alike so we expressed our feeling the same way, by arguing. It's not a good thing by no means. It made us want to get away from each other. We kept yelling awful statements like "I cannot wait to leave" or "I'll be glad when you're gone!"
So THAT day had finally come. We got Jessica, my roommate, and me all moved in and set up, and comfortable. Now would be a good time to tell you that my mom and I had also been arguing about the emotional feeling of crying. I said she was was going to cry and she said she was not. Well as she was hugging me and saying goodbye I starting crying first. All those feelings of always being together came rushing to me. I didn't even want to let her go. She had done so much for me and with me, how was I suppose to just let her walk out that door? When I started crying, she did as well. Ten minutes later and a lot of I love yous and call me whenever, she was gone. The weird thing was, I was fine. I was okay until the next night when it hit me again.
My mama as well as my sister both call me every day. At seperate times at that. I love hearing from them. My sister plays volleyball at my high school and she tells me about her junior classes and ALL the drama that we have left behind. Man I'm glad I can say that!!
I am also close to my little brother, Seth, who is in fifth grade now. I feel so old! It hurts me to know I'm not going to get to watch him grow up as closely as I want to. The first morning I was gone my mom woke up and could not find him. She searched every where. And yes, the last place she looked was of course where he was, my room. When she told me was the next time I cried like I have already told you. He called me later that day and talked to me about cartoons of all things. Knowing I do not like them. Haha. His was of still pestering me even though I'm not there. He asked me about college, he didn't understand that we hadn't started yet. He's so cute.
So I don't know yet when the next time I am going to get to see them. I do know that my mom, who wasn't even going to cry, misses me so much she is driving the hour and a half to come see me Friday. Haha. How ironic!

2 comments:

Mr. B said...

Paige, sometimes it's really great to cry. We just dropped off my little sister at Clemson last week and my mom cried too as we were leaving. Those moments show us just how special our families really are to us.

Shannon Kimbrell said...

Paige- Your story made me cry!!! My son is 5 years (counting this one) away from graduating high school. Not sure that I am looking forward to that. Good luck with your endeavors.