Wednesday, August 27, 2008

leaving home...

Like most of you, I've been on my own for about a week now. I spent not just this summer but my whole senior year convinced that going away wasn't that big of a deal. I of course was wrong. Both of my parents moved me into my room last friday. I let my mom do all of my unpacking for me. She insisted on making my bed, putting my clothes away, and setting up all the stuff on my desk. How could I say no to her knowing that it was the last time for a long while that someone else would be doing everything for me? I was fine when she left. She started to get a little teary eyed, and I showed no sympathy. It may seem a little harsh but I just wanted her gone. Now, after five days I wish she would come back. I wouldn't say that I'm homesick though. I love this newfound freedom that I have. I think that what i miss about my mom is knowing she has always been there to take care of me when something has gone wrong. Now that I'm on my own, I do not know what is going to happen if I am in a situation where something might be too big for me to handle on my own. I dont know if I'm really ready for this new independence that I have. For now I can just do my best and hope that I don't mess up. So far my stay at Winthrop has been pretty exciting. I've met people that I know I will experience new things with and grow with in these next few years. My class schedule is spread out so that I have at least an hour between each class. I have time to meet my friends to go eat with or catch up on some last minute work I might need to do before my next class. My roommate and I are getting along well. We don't really hang out, but when we are together we don't have any problems. I have spent my entire life sharing a room and so has she. I doubt we will have a difficult time living with each other. Since I have only been here for a week there isn't much else to say. This has been an interesting first week, and I can't wait to see what else will come about in my next few years here.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

Cait, it's okay to let moms do "mom stuff" when they drop you off for college. It's good that you let her do those things because she probably needed to do them. I'm glad that you feel empowered with your new freedom; it is strange and wonderful all at the same time, isn't it?