Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Leaving Home

I was so excited at first to leave home. I already had my best friend here at Winthrop and I thought it was going to be awesome! I thought we would have so much fun and I didn't think I'd need anybody else. Well this was at the beginning of summer and as school soon approached, I felt like I didn't want to go and I just wanted to stay at home in Spartanburg. I was scared. I thought saying goodbye to my best friends was going to be hard, but I realized that it wasn't. I mean, I'm going to see them again, pretty soon and everything is going to be the exact same the next time I hang out with them. Only, we'll just have more new stuff to talk about. So, I said goodbye to my friends and packed up almost everything I own (yes I brought WAY too much stuff!). I came up here with my mom and step-dad and they helped me move in. The first two days were kind of boring. I was at orientation last Wednesday and Thursday and because I was bored I missed home a lot. I called my mom (who I am SO close with) and my best friend (the one who doesn't go here) a good bit because I was so lonely. But then Friday came and I had a lot of fun and I made friends! That made me miss home a lot less. I have gotten really close with two people here. They are my lifesavers. Yes, It was so hard to say goodbye to my mom that friday morning, but I have talked to her so many times since then. I tell her about everything that is going on. I have also talked to my sister, who just graduated from Winthrop and she lives off of Cherry Rd. just down the street. She has reassured me about things I was nervous about and she has already invited me for dinner at her apartment. I'm so glad I have her here in Rock Hill with me. It has made the transition away from home so much easier! I'm glad my sister is up here with me and my mom is always a phone call away. I am sooo close to those two. We got really close every since my dad took off and my parents got divorced when I was 3. My mom is my rock. It was hard to leave her, but I know she is always there to talk to, just an hour away. And she would come up here anytime I needed her to. And my sister could be here in 5 minutes if I needed her to be. That's very reassuring. I think knowing that has made it easier for me to make such an easy transition to college. That coupled with my new friends whom I've already become close with have made coming to Winthrop a good experience. And it made leaving home not quite so hard. :)
Alison

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

Often, it's the scariest challenges in life that turn out to be the most worthwhile. It's nice that you have your sister here to support you. It sounds as though your family is doing a pretty good job of helping you make this big transition.