Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Leaving Home

The leaving home does not apply to me as much in the present tense as it may many of you. I think I'm the elder of the class so this subject is a little tough. However, I left home ten years ago and my journey called "life" began. When I left home, I began a full time job and was a full time student. Not only that, I was a full time single mother. My independence allowed me to overcome any fears I had. I felt like I had a lot to prove so I was on a mission. This drove me to achieve many goals I had set so I would not be another statistic in society. Naturally, I had fears but my eagerness to see what the "other side" was like kept me pushing strong. I didn't have the ability to move away from home to a dorm. However, when I moved away, I incurred a monthly debt called rent. Knowing my child's welfare was at stake and I would be held accountable for all my actions kept me in perspective at all times. Sure, I was like any other person out there going to college and/or working but I felt I was different. I definitely wanted to give my child more than I was ever given. So, I had a choice. I needed to either grow up and become a stronger, independent woman OR become a co-dependent statistical society member that lived off the government and never achieve any of my goals. Of course, I chose the first one. Now with that said, I did all I wanted for 3 years and just got burned out. Here I am, ten years later (really 7) trying it all again. Leaving home now means I leave behind a family that includes a spouse, my 13 year old son and 11 month old daughter. I don't leave behind my parents or siblings. Instead, I am starting a new mission. I will complete my mission this time. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

Good luck indeed, Shannon! Wow, what a powerful and inspiring new journey for you. I'm glad that you're here with us. Leaving home was a long time ago for me too, but I still remember it well.