Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Case of Religious Discrimination

I read the article in the New York Times about religious discrimination. Call me blind but I didn't really see it as discrimination. The way that I perceived the city of Pleasant Grove City rejecting the application was that they just want to preserve their city's tradition. The city said their reasoning for rejection was that they only accept displays that directly related to the city's history. Although it is almost obvious that they lied by saying they have been saying that for a decade, they had a point. In my opinion, a person or group of people can't just come in somewhere and expect recognition or praise from anyone. In my religion, christianity, humbleness is something like a virtue and boasting about your religion or asking for recognition in a city doesn't display humbleness. I don't see the city's display of the ten commandments as trying to boast about religion because it seems as though Christianity is apart of the city's history. If the Summums want to display the Seven Principle's of Creation they could very well do that at their church, on their cars, and at their homes but if has nothing to do with the history of the city then the city should not have to let them display in their park.

No comments: