Friday, September 5, 2008

Favorite Artist

Now, this may seem a little unorthodox to most people but my favorite artist happens to be Eminem. I know I must be crazy to think somebody that vulgar and cruel could be my favorite artist. Yes, in some of his songs he talks about killing people and using the restroom while on the phone; However, he does say that all this is for fun because he enjoys what he does it is not necessarily what he believes in doing. In fact his very first quote of his song Criminal says "A lot of people ask me stupid *explicit* questions. A lot of people think that.. what i say on records or what i talk about on a record, that i actually do in real life or that i believe in it or if i say that, i wanna kill somebody, that.. I'm actually gonna do it or that i believe in it Well, if you believe that then I'll kill you." This is a powerful lyric to me because he is trying to disprove everything bad that the media says. Everybody believes that he is going to go shoot somebody or that he doesn't believe in this or that just because he bad mouths it in his songs. While a handful of his songs are just for fun, most of his songs do have true meaning at their base, but most cant see past the media to look at Eminem for who he is as a person just doing what he loves to do.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

Wow, Stephanie, I would not have guessed that any of you would have chosen Eminem as your favorite artist, but you described his work with precision, so I can respect that.

I mean, the guy can do some pretty clever things with language.