Sunday, September 28, 2008

What am I a geek about?

After my last blog entry I believe the answer to this question should be obvious. If my favorite artist is J.K. Rowling, then I have to say that I am geeky about Harry Potter. I know, it doesn't seem right for me to use nearly the same subject for two blog entries, but it is positively the one thing that I am most geeky about. I have not read the series only once, or twice, or three times even. I have read all seven of them at least four times, the earlier books I read a few more times than the later ones. I think I have read HP and The Sorcerer's Stone about eight times without skipping a word or a page. I know these books like the alphabet.
If you were to grab a HP book, open it up and flip to a random page, and say the first few words of a sentence in the middle of the page, I can sometimes finish the sentence almost word for word. And if I can't do that, I can at least tell you exactly what is happening in the scene. It is actually a bit ridiculous, I admit, but you must know that I started reading them when I was about 10 years old and I had to wait year after year for the series to finish being published. I was 20 before the last book came out, so the story stuck with me through an entire decade. Hence my obsession. But at least I can say that I am not the only one. Why else would Rowling be richer even than the British Royal Crown?!?!

No comments: