Monday, September 29, 2008

What I am Geeky About!!

If I had to choose one thing that I am geeky about besides art, movies, the internet, and RPs, it would be books. I am completely obsessed with reading books. My interests lie more in the gothic type stories, such as vampires or werewolves. Pretty much any type of urban fantasy fiction will catch my eye, though. Some of my favorite authors include Stephanie Meyer, Garth Nix, Libba Bray, Laurell K. Hamilton, Tamora Pierce, and Gail Carson Levine. Each of these authors has written series that I just fell in love with at the beginning and could not put the book down. Most of the books that I read by them are ones that I will re-read over and over, and still enjoy the book as if it is the first time I am reading it. When I am done reading a book, I sometimes research for illustrations of scenes or of characters to see how others picture them. If I do not do that, I will end up sketching how I think they should look in my own book. Essentially, that is what I am studying to become: an Illustrator. Reading sparks the passion in me to pursue such a tedious career. When I find a new book, I am on a natural high. I get more excited about good books than I do going to a fair or a concert. It is almost sad but so very true. Sadly, I had to leave most of my books at home. I went through and picked out the ones I knew I could not come to college without. For example, I could not come without Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series or Libba Bray’s A Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy. Currently, I am working my way through Garth Nix’s Sabriel trilogy for possibly the fourth time. It has been years since I last re-read the books so I decided to read them again. Books are my passion and I eventually want to write my own novels.

2 comments:

Mr. B said...

I too am geeky about books. I've recently started getting into science fiction, which makes it even worse. Oh well.

Did you ever get into Anne Rice novels with all those vampires?

Jillian Sanford said...

No, I keep meaning to but I never get around to it. I really want to though, especially since Interview with a Vampire and Queen of the Damned are some of my favorite movies.