Friday, September 5, 2008

My Favorite Artist


I would also say that it's hard to pick just one artist. There are so many musicians and painters that I like. My favorite painter is Jackson Pollock, hands down. I really like his style. He uses layers and layers of thick acrylic paint in his pieces. He uses thick globs of paint to get texture and color. Often, he also throws in bits of stuff with the paint, such as screws, dried pieces of paint, etc. All of his work is abstract, which is my favorite type of art. I enjoy looking at his work; it's impressive. He also uses huge canvases to paint on. Most of his paintings dwarf many other paintings I've seen. If his pieces weren't thousands of dollars, I would love to own one. I don't think I would ever get tired of looking at it. The little streaks of different colors all over and the many different textures, in just one piece even, really stick out to me. I love how asymmetrical abstract pieces look. They aren't all so perfect looking like symmetrical ones. I guess I just like when things are just a little off-center, but artfully done. It makes them more interesting to me. They're unique. Jackson Pollock's pieces appeal to the senses; mostly sight, but touch too, if you were allowed to touch his work, because it has so much texture.

Though I love Jackson Pollock's work, I also enjoy the musician Ingrid Michaelson. It's a tough choice because I like so many musicians, but Ingrid is my favorite. Her music is so chill and soothing. It's kind of like Jack Johnson, to give you all some kind of reference if you've never heard of her before. I love her voice the most. That's what really got me interested in her after I heard one of her songs. Her voice is different and just so pretty and comforting. Her songs are pretty happy and upbeat, even if they're about sad subjects, the beats are so perky. Her music makes you want to keep listening. I own most of her songs, even though she only has 30 or so because she is a fairly new artist. I discovered a new song of hers when I went to her concert back in June and I just bought it on itunes the other day. It's called "Be OK". Everyone should look it up. It's very upbeat. It should make you smile or maybe dance. :) As I was saying, I went to her concert and she talked between songs and she was so funny and just seemed like the most awesome person. I wanted to meet her. Although I didn't get to meet her, Ingrid was even better in person than I ever expected. She definitely exceeded my expectations. Because of her amazing music and her awesome personality, she is my favorite artist. Her music really makes me glad I have the ability to hear.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

Alison, while I used Magritte as my example, and I do really enjoy his wit and playful meaning, I have to say that Pollock's works are also my favorite to look at. Nice choice, and I'm glad you chose such a great picture to represent his work. As for Ingrid Michaelson, I checked her out on iTunes, and really enjoyed her voice!