Monday, September 8, 2008

Who is your favorite artist?

My favorite artist would have to be M.C. Escher. Art has always been a fascination for me. I love to draw, paint, build, etc. In all of Escher's art work there is this almost comforting sense of confusion. He shows that in everyday objects there are always questions. That is the same for me. I am always questioning why or how. But also, to me at least, life is almost a maze that can't ever really be completed without some sort of obstacle. Like in Escher's Relativity lithograph there are upside down stair cases with people walking on them and sideways doors. I think that this is a very good portrayal of life. But its not only this picture that shows this. In his picture Ascending and Descending there are stairs on the top of a castle and one group looks like they are going down and the others look like they are going up, but really the stairs are going around in a square, they never really end. I think this shows his thoughts on the monotany in life, its the same things over and over again. I can't say that any one piece of his artwork is my favorite, they are all amazing and have so much detail that it makes you wonder exactly what he was thinking when he did them In general M.C. Escher had a very unique but true outlook on life that is very similar to mine, and his artwork is just cool.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

Savannah, M. C. Escher is such a distinct artist. He's also a popular favorite among a lot of people. I'm also attracted to the technical accuracy that he strives for in his work. Every line of his is so precise, intricate, and challenging. Nice choice!