Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Favorite Artist- you can laugh if you like





I became a fan of fiction books when I was thirteen and in the eigth grade. I am not ashamed to admit that my favorite artists are childrens book writers. J.K. Rowling's: Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone was the first book over 200 pages that I ever read, and I have since read it over eight times. (That's right, I said 8, not a typo) I have read the other books several times as well. In fact, I have the audio books recorded on iTunes on my laptop just in case I want to relax and listen to a chapter or two every now and again. I know what you are thinking, "Wow, that's a bit much!" but I just really like the story. Rowling just has a way of taking the reader and dropping them into this other world that is both similar to our own, and underneath it is all so totally different, and as you read book after book she actually makes you want to believe there is something so mystical and interesting in this world, even if you can't be a part of it. That's what the story did for me anyway; it made a boring and dangerous world look absolutely filled with excitement and adventure around every corner. The countless references to ancient mythology and sorcery alone make it an interesting read. Rowling makes her own interpretations of the way magic could work. She quite literally invented an entire world seperate from our own, filled with everything from magical wands, to flying brooms, to invisible train platforms, to three-headed dogs and dragons! Just this whole world full of mythology and magical beasts and everything else that makes a fantastic story. Since the eighth grade I have read a good many fiction novels, but J.K. Rowling has so far been my favorite artist.
William Norton

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

It's okay to like J. K. Rowling. She's definitely done a lot to get students to read literature! One famous literary critic doesn't approve of her work though, Harold Bloom. You can read his review of the first Harry Potter book here: http://wrt-brooke.syr.edu/courses/205.03/bloom.html. I have to say that I like the Harry Potter books myself and disagree with Bloom, even though I've only read the first three books.