Saturday, September 27, 2008

Science and Running Geek

I LOVE science! It's my favorite subject and has been for quite a few years. I love all types of science classes and I did pretty well in the ones I took. Maybe that's why I like science so much.
My favorite ones were the microbiology and zoology classes I took my senior year in high school.

In microbiology, we focused on learning all about bacteria, viruses, and fungi. I thought it was neat to learn about all the types of microorganisms and use the microscopes to see them. I learned SO much in that class, unfortunately it was only one semester. :( I learned that not all microorganisms are harmful. There are a lot that do really good things. We wouldn't have yogurt if it weren't for bacteria. The class really opened my eyes to all of the things around me, good and bad. I was also paranoid for a while, worried I was going to catch all of these diseases or conditions that we'd learned about. But it was really fun. I guess I'm a geek for that. I don't think many people found it quite as fascinating as I did. I would have loved to have that class all day, instead of just 50 minutes.

In zoology, we learned about all different phyla of the animal kingdom, like crustaceans, cephalopods, and aves, for example. I learned a lot about animals! It was fascinating. We even got to go to the Atlanta Aquarium! It was sooo cool. I got to see and touch some pretty neat things. My favorite were the sharks and sting rays. I also enjoyed seeing the whales, polar bears, and penguins. I learned lots of things I didn't already know about animals, like mussels, scallops, clams, and oysters move using a muscular foot. Squid can change colors violently and rapidly under attack, or when they're angry. Who knew squid had feelings?! They change from white to red very quickly. It's very neat to watch. I thought only chameleons changed colors, but I was wrong. It was so neat to learn interesting facts about so many different types of animals out there. I hope I will remember those facts for a long time.

I also enjoyed my chemistry class in high school. At first, I was really bad at it, but then I really worked at it and ended up doing well and enjoying it. It's good I enjoyed it because I am currently taking chem 105/107 and I have to take 3 more chemistry classes for my major, which is nutrition. But I'm passionate about science and even if it's hard, that only makes me try harder. I also try so hard because I enjoy doing it. I'm not a math person, but science is my forte. I feel like it's (science-in general) what I was meant to do, hints the nutrition major.

My mom jokes about how much I like it, but she's right. I even asked her for advice for this assignment and she told me to write about zoology and cephalopods! She knows how much I was into it when I took that class. She called me a walking encyclopedia. It was just funny to hear. I'm such a geek about science. Who knows that much about or remembers that much about science, especially about animals and microorganisms and elements too? And who actually likes it that much? Just the other day I was rattling off stuff I was doing in my chemistry class to a friend and she looked at me like "What in the world are you talking about? I don't remember that stuff!".

I am also a geek about running. I love to run. I ran cross country for four years and long distance track for two years. I don't run for Winthrop, but I miss it a lot! I love going to meets and talking about running and actually running, obviously. It was such a big part of my life for so long, I can't get rid of it. I even plan to go to my high school team's state meet in Columbia in November. That's how dedicated I am to the sport. I'm such a geek about it. I would talk about the meets and our times and such to my non-runner friends and they never knew what I was talking about, like p.r.'s and splits and such. That's when it became apparent: I was a running nerd, someone who actually likes to run. Our team gets up at 6:30 every morning in the summer to practice and everyday afterschool when school started. It was pretty much a year round thing, especially if we ran track. It is intense and not for people who don't love it. We are all geeks, but we share that special bond together.

Wow this is really long. That's how much of a geek I am.

1 comment:

Cara said...

This was really interesting! I love science too but must say I'm not such an encyclopedia about it!