Monday, September 8, 2008

My Favorite Artist

To be honest, my favorite artist changes from time to time. Ranging from Seether to Three Days Grace and Amy Brown. Currently, my fascination has been with the work of Victoria Frances. She is a Gothic artist that I discovered on a poster in a Spencer's store. What I like particularly about her works is the attention to detail she puts into her drawings.

For example in the first picture, she paid special attention to the eyes and added such a realistic vibe to it. The composition is also visually balanced with the way she positioned the heaviest portion into the top half of the image and then placed the spider in the lower left corner.



Another one of my favorites is the image below. One of my favorite animals happens to be cats so the feline vibe that comes off of this picture attracts me the most. Not only is the Venetian mask- which is something else I adore- is cat-like, but so are her eyes. The luminosity of the irises is like that of a cat's eyes. Another thing that catches my eye is how she made the mask stand out so much from the picture. The corset and the background are similar in colors but the mask is vibrant and playful. It is like she wanted to draw attention to the face, particularly the eyes.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

This Victoria Frances has some very interesting work. You know the Gothic aesthetic is so interesting because it is new, and yet borrows so much from the Victorian stylings of the 19th century.